Delayed Penalty and a little warning...

This book cover is amazing. Reese Dante is a true artist and she captured everything in this book...

And that's where the warning comes in. Those who've read the books know I don't shy away from tough subjects. Just to name a few without spoiling for those new to the series all I need to say is Silver, Landon, Dominik...Scott.

I'll keep this short, but I just want to let you know that it's not going to get easier. If you want a light, happy read...well, we have different tastes so I have nothing to recommend. I read books that contain real issues. I write the same. Those who follow me on FB have seen me post things that I probably shouldn't have. My betas usually save me from the worst, but sometimes, I rip open scars and just let them bleed.

Why? Because I was taught to keep my mouth shut about certain things most of my life. And as an author, I now have the power to shine light on things that may reach someone. Help someone. And that makes me feel good. Yeah, sometimes my muse throws something at me that tosses me back into my past and makes me want to drown myself in a bottle of whiskey, but I don't need to hide that from you guys. My experiences make me who I am. And damn it, I survived. And that's something to be proud of.

I look at other authors, like Kallypso Masters, and can't help but be thankful that we who had to be silent for so long now have a voice. We can write these books, expose our blood, sweat, and tears, and maybe make a difference. We are still authors, but more importantly, we are artist that can bring what we suffered into the light. We aren't just writing stories. We are showing a different perspective through the characters that speak so loudly in our heads. 

I've seen things recently about a popular show and the reactions to ignorant comments and it really drove it home the power we authors have. We can stifle the ignorance. We can show that love, in whatever form, is beautiful. And by putting real characters out there, we can show how people can live through terrible things and come out stronger. Strong enough to make a difference.

Some may say there's not enough sex in my books. I'm sorry I can't give you what you're looking for. But my heart swells at that single message from a reader telling me I reached them. That I wrote a story with a character who touched them, who they could relate to. Who helped them take that next step towards healing.

This is my warning. You stood by Silver as she had her baby and went through PPD. You watched Landon deal with his son's death. You saw Dominik left alone. Akira heal from rape. Jami recover from addiction.

My books are not stroking material--for the most part!--Real issues come up. Life happens and I don't play directer as the characters tell me their stories. I write what I'm told. I'm the body behind the keyboard typing as fast as I can to get the story of the people you've come to love.

With that, I'll leave you with this unedited excerpt. And thank all those who've stuck with the Cobras this long. There's more coming. Much more. You'll get to experience the Cobras like I do. Moving forward. Falling back.

Just living.

Delayed Penalty

Copyright 2013, Bianca Sommerland



“Cort, you didn’t know.” Ford’s soft tone made Cort want to get up and punch him. How could Ford say that when so many had hated him—including Akira—for so long for his mistakes? Jami had almost been raped. But she hadn’t been. And she was still alive. So it was nothing compared to what Cort had done.

“Take her, Ford. Get her away from me.” Cort released Akira. As he should have done in the first place. He’d never be the man for her. At least she had Ford and Ford loved her. And Ford wasn’t too far gone to be there for her. He felt a gentle hand on the side of his throat and jerked away. “Get her out of here!”

“No.” It sounded like Ford and Sutter had spoken at the same time. Cort could almost feel them staring each other down. It was Ford that continued. “I think she might object. And I refuse to take her away from you, so that’s not gonna work. She had to watch us both be hauled in for bullshit. We’re both here now. I won’t have her feeling alone again.”

“She loves you.” That’s what Ford had wanted. Why couldn’t he just go with it? It would kill Cort to lose her, but better that than her being with someone whose hands would always be soaked in innocent blood. “You owe me, Ford. You better fucking remember that and give her . . . give her everything. Every fucking day you better look at her and know you’ve gotta work hard to deserve her.”



Comments

  1. Bianca, you say it so much more eloquently than I could, but I know you'll touch many readers who have been in those dark places. The light you shine in them WILL help them. I was telling a reader this weekend I Louisville that once I had a dream that told me my purpose for writing was to "give a voice to the voiceless." Somehow I think that might be your calling, as well.

    Romance novels give survivors a safe place to explore those darker emotions they often try to keep tamped down, with the knowledge they will at least get a Happy For Now ending. Sometimes, like in *my* story about those dark places, they even earn a Happily Ever After. But HEA is still only the beginning and they take maintenance. Showing realistic Romance can be a healthy and healing model to those who don't know what love is supposed to look like.

    Had to smile at your comment about your books not having enough sex. In my last book, they don't have sex until...let's say VERY late in the book. Almost the NEXT book. lol Seriously, though, not every couple is ready to jump into bed in chapter two. (Some are, though! ) Keep listening to the characters and telling their stories the way they happened. There is a growing audience for stories that aren't based on fantasy (both sexual and romantic fantasies).

    Keep it up--keep writing! See you in Savannah next month!

    Kally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooo so excited.
    I love that you write about real issues. It makes me connect on a deeper level when there's something I can relate to. Thank you.
    When can we expect Delayed Penalty??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for writing amazing books and memorable characters. I've read all your Cobra books and can't wait for the next one. Will simply have to reread the previous ones.
    Hope Delaed Penalty is released soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the Cobra series. I love you take on the deep issues purchasing Delayed Penalty today. Can't wait to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Cobra series is by far one of the very best series I have ever read. I can't wait for your next book in the series. I am in love with your characters and their lives take me on an emotional rollercoaster. Thank you for sharing their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just purchased Delayed Penalty. I sure hope there are more to come in this series! I love them. They are real, raw emotional stories that have drawn me in. Your character development is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that your writing deals with real issues and doesn't shy away
    Your books touch me just like Kally's books do
    Please keep sharing their stories with us
    Just started this book and I'm already drawn into it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BDSM UNLEASED & HOT JOCKS IN JULY BLOG HOP

Saying Goodbye to The Asylum-Release of Past Justice: Book 4

NEW RELEASE: Broken Justice (The Asylum Fight Club Book 10)